Telehealth Informed Consent
Informed Consent for Telehealth Services
Telehealth involves the use of electronic communications to enable healthcare providers at different locations to share individual patient medical information for the purpose of improving patient care. Telehealth services offered by 24H Medical Group, P.A. (“24H Medical”) may also include chart review, remote prescribing, appointment scheduling, health information sharing, and non-clinical services, such as patient education. The information you provide may be used for diagnosis, therapy, follow-up and/or patient education, and may include any combination of the following: (1) health records and test results; (2) images and asynchronous communications; (3) live two-way audio and video; (4) interactive audio with store and forward; and (5) output data from medical devices and sound and video files.
The electronic communication systems we use will incorporate network and software security protocols to protect the confidentiality of patient identification and imaging data and will include measures to safeguard the data and to ensure its integrity against intentional or unintentional corruption.
24H Medical physicians (our “providers”) are an addition to, and not a replacement for, your primary care physician. Responsibility for your overall medical care should remain with your local primary care clinician, if you have one, and we strongly encourage you to locate one if you do not.
- Improved access to care by enabling you to remain in your home while the 24H Medical provider consults and obtains test results at distant/other sites.
- More efficient care evaluation and management.
- Obtaining expertise of a specialist as appropriate.
- Delays in evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment and technologies.
- In rare events, our provider may determine that the transmitted information is of inadequate quality, thus necessitating a rescheduled telehealth consult or a meeting with your local primary care clinician.
- In very rare events, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information.
- In rare events, a lack of access to complete medical records may result in adverse drug interactions or allergic reactions or other judgment errors.
If you need to receive follow-up care, assistance in the event of an adverse reaction to the treatment, or in the event of an inability to communicate as a result of a technological or equipment failure, please contact 24H Medical at [email protected] or +1 (310) 953-4308.
By checking the box associated with "Informed Consent", you acknowledge that you understand and agree with the following:
- I hereby consent to receiving 24H Medical’s services via telehealth technologies. I understand that 24H Medical and its providers offer telehealth-based medical services, but that these services do not replace the relationship between me and my primary care clinician. I also understand it is up to the 24H Medical provider to determine whether or not my specific clinical needs are appropriate for a telehealth encounter.
- I have been given an opportunity to select a provider from 24H Medical prior to the consult, including a review of the provider’s credentials.
- I understand that federal and state law requires health care providers to protect the privacy and the security of health information. I understand that 24H Medical will take steps to make sure that my health information is not seen by anyone who should not see it. I understand that telehealth may involve electronic communication of my personal medical information to other health practitioners who may be located in other areas, including out of state.
- I understand there is a risk of technical failures during the telehealth encounter beyond the control of 24H Medical. I agree to hold harmless 24H Medical for delays in evaluation or for information lost due to such technical failures.
- I understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telehealth in the course of my care at any time, without affecting my right to future care or treatment. I understand that I may suspend or terminate use of the telehealth services at any time for any reason or for no reason. I understand that if I am experiencing a medical emergency, that I will be directed to dial 9-1-1 immediately and that the 24H Medical providers are not able to connect me directly to any local emergency services.
- I understand that alternatives to telehealth consultation, such as in-person services are available to me, and in choosing to participate in a telehealth consultation, I understand that some parts of the services involving tests may be conducted by individuals at my location, or at a testing facility, at the direction of the 24H Medical provider (e.g., labs or bloodwork).
- I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits from the use of telehealth in my care, but that no results can be guaranteed or assured.
- I understand that my healthcare information may be shared with other individuals for scheduling and billing purposes. Persons may be present during the consultation other than the 24H Medical provider in order to operate the telehealth technologies. I further understand that I will be informed of their presence in the consultation and thus will have the right to request the following: (1) omit specific details of my medical history/examination that are personally sensitive to me; (2) ask non-medical personnel to leave the telehealth examination; and/or (3) terminate the consultation at any time.
- I understand that I will not be prescribed any narcotics for pain, nor is there any guarantee that I will be given a prescription at all.
- I understand that if I participate in a consultation, that I have the right to request a copy of my medical records which will be provided to me at reasonable cost of preparation, shipping and delivery.
States in which Rxdefine is permitted to operate: AL, AK, CA CO CT, FL, GA, HI, IL, IA KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI and WY.
Additional State-Specific Consents
The following consents apply to users accessing the 24H Medical website for the purposes of participating in a telehealth consultation as required by the states listed below:
Alaska: I understand my primary care provider may obtain a copy of my records of my telehealth encounter. (Alaska Stat. § 08.64.364).
Connecticut: I understand that my primary care provider may obtain a copy of my records of my telehealth encounter. (Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 19a-906).
Georgia: I have been given clear, appropriate, accurate instructions on follow-up in the event of needed emergent care related to the treatment. (Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. 360-3-.07(7)).
Kansas: I understand that if I have a primary care provider or other treating physician, the person providing telemedicine services must send within three business days a report to such primary care or other treating physician of the treatment and services rendered to me during the telemedicine encounter. (Kan. Stat. Ann. § 40-2,212(2)(d)(1)(A)).
Kentucky: If I am a Medicaid recipient, I recognize I have the option to refuse the telehealth consultation at any time without affecting the right to future care or treatment and without risking the loss or withdrawal of a Medicaid benefit to which I am entitled. I understand that I have the right to be informed of any party who will be present at the site during the telehealth consult and I have the right to exclude anyone from being present. I also understand that I have the right to object to the videotaping of the telehealth consultation. (907 Ky. Admin. Regs. 3:170).
Nebraska: If I am a Medicaid recipient, I retain the option to refuse the telehealth consultation at any time without affecting my right to future care or treatment and without risking the loss or withdrawal of any program benefits to which the patient would otherwise be entitled. All existing confidentiality protections shall apply to the telehealth consultation. I shall have access to all medical information resulting from the telehealth consultation as provided by law for access to my medical records. Dissemination of any patient identifiable images or information from the telehealth consultation to researchers or other entities shall not occur without my written consent. I understand that I have the right to request an in-person consult immediately after the telehealth consult and I will be informed if such consult is not available. (Neb. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 71-8505; 471 Neb. Admin. Code § 1-006.05).
Pennsylvania: I understand that I may be asked to confirm my consent to behavioral health or tele-psych services.
Rhode Island: If I use e-mail or text-based technology to communicate with my 24H Medical provider, then I understand the types of transmissions that will be permitted and the circumstances when alternate forms of communication or office visits should be utilized. I have also discussed security measures, such as encryption of data, password protected screen savers and data files, or utilization of other reliable authentication techniques, as well as potential risks to privacy. I acknowledge that my failure to comply with this agreement may result in the 24H Medical provider terminating the e-mail relationship. (Rhode Island Medical Board Guidelines).
South Carolina: I understand my medical records may be distributed in accordance with applicable law and regulation to other treating health care practitioners. (S.C. Code Ann. § 40-47-37).
South Dakota: I have received disclosures regarding the delivery models and treatment methods or limitations. I have discussed with the 24H Medical provider the diagnosis and its evidentiary basis, and the risks and benefits of various treatment options. (S.D. SB136 (not yet codified)).
Tennessee: I understand that I may request an in-person assessment before receiving a telehealth assessment if I am a Medicaid recipient.
Texas: I understand that my medical records may be sent to my primary care physician. (Tex. Occ. Code Ann. § 111.005).
Utah: I understand (i) any additional fees charged for telehealth services, if any, and how payment is to be made for those additional fees, if the fees are charged separately from any fees for face-to-face services provided in combination with the telehealth services; (ii) to whom my health information may be disclosed and for what purpose, and have received information on any consent governing release of my patient-identifiable information to a third-party; (iii) my rights with respect to patient health information; (iv) appropriate uses and limitations of the site, including emergency health situations. I understand that the telehealth services 24H Medical provides meets industry security and privacy standards, and comply with all laws referenced in Subsection 26-60-102(8)(b)(ii). I was warned of: potential risks to privacy notwithstanding the security measures and that information may be lost due to technical failures, and agree to hold the provider harmless for such loss. I have been provided with the location of 24H Medical’s website and contact information. I was able to select my provider of choice, to the extent possible. I was able to select my pharmacy of choice. I am able to a (i) access, supplement, and amend my patient-provided personal health information; (ii) contact my provider for subsequent care; (iii) obtain upon request an electronic or hard copy of my medical record documenting the telemedicine services, including the informed consent provided; and (iv) request a transfer to another provider of my medical record documenting the telemedicine services. (Utah Admin. Code r. 156-1-602).
Virginia: I acknowledge that I have received details on security measures taken with the use of telemedicine services, such as encrypting date of service, password protected screen savers, encrypting data files, or utilizing other reliable authentication techniques, as well as potential risks to privacy notwithstanding such measures; I agree to hold harmless 24H Medical for information lost due to technical failures; and I provide my express consent to forward patient-identifiable information to a third party. (Virginia Board of Medicine Guidance Document 85-12).
Vermont: I understand that I have the right to receive a consult with a distant-site provider and will receive one upon request immediately or within a reasonable time after the results of the initial consult. I understand that receiving tele-dermatology or tele-ophthalmology services via 24H Medical does not preclude me from receiving real-time telemedicine or face-to-face services with the distant provider at a future date. (Vt. Stat. Ann. § 9361).
I have read this document carefully, and understand the risks and benefits of the telehealth consultation and have had my questions regarding the procedure explained and I hereby give my informed consent to participate in a telehealth consultation under the terms described herein.
Get in touch
Leave us a message and one of our team members will be in touch with you shortly or reach out directly at [email protected]